Instincts & Subtypes – Online
Instincts & Subtypes – Online
08/21/2020 - 08/23/2020
Each Enneagram type has three important variations known as instinctual subtypes. While everyone uses all three instincts – self-preservation, one-to-one and social – we each rely on one of these as our primary survival strategy.
Each Enneagram type has three important variations known as instinctual subtypes. While everyone uses all three instincts (located in the body center) – self-preservation, one-to-one and social – we each rely on one of these as our primary survival strategy. This combination of type and instinct determines our “subtype,” which creates a particular focus in daily life and distinctive style in relationships. In fact, subtypes are as important as personality types when it comes to daily life, where relationships – especially primary relationships – are largely shaped by instinct and emotion. Our instinctual subtype also influences the decisions we make about major projects and life goals.
Working with the Enneagram’s instinctual subtypes is a vital part of inner work and returning to our essential self. The 27 subtypes also illuminate the important variations among people of the same personality type. In key relationships, understanding subtypes brings these primary areas of focus to each person’s awareness and provides a language to describe similarities and differences.
The primary subtype focus shows up in our relationships in three vital areas:
- Self-preservation: Security issues reflected in personal warmth, finances, health and family
- One-to-one: A quest for union in individual connections, sexual intimacy and spiritual practice
- Social: Belonging and recognition through group participation, social structures and friendships
From Helen Palmer’s early workshops in Berkeley to current TNE programs around the world, the Enneagram Narrative panel method brings the 9 types and 27 subtypes to life. This three-day workshop will help you:
- Connect to a greater sense of security, well-being and purpose
- Gain a better understanding of why people think, feel and act differently
- Improve communication, reduce conflict and build new bridges with loved ones
- Learn to meet each other’s needs for security, identity, contact and withdrawal
This stand-alone workshop is also part of our Enneagram Narrative Core Program. The format consists of short presentations, panel interviews in the Narrative Tradition, guided practices and discussion. Some knowledge of the Enneagram is expected.
Things to Know
- Attendance: You may miss up to 2 hours (cumulative) of the foundational program. If you need to miss more than 2 hours, you will need to sign up for another training.
- Credits: Completion of Enneagram Intensive – Part 1 qualifies for 13 Continuing Coach Education (CCE) hours for Core Competencies and 4.5 hours for Resource Development (RD) by the International Coach Federation.
- Technical Requirements: You will need a computer with internet access in order to participate in this program. Headphones are optional but not necessary.
Final day to register:
Final day to transfer:
Final day to cancel and receive a partial refund:
Please view our Cancellation Policy.
All online events will take place on Zoom.
If you have any questions about this or other events, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click the link below to register via the MyTNE portal. By registering for any event, you agree to The Narrative Enneagram’s Cancellation Policy.
If you are requesting a payment plan, please fill out the Payment Plan Request Form instead, which will also gather your registration information.
If you experience any difficulties with your registration, please complete this form. We will be in touch soon to help you complete your registration.